Sunday, February 06, 2011

Lesson 101: Don't Act Gay in Alabama


From the Advocate.com comes an excerpt from an all to familiar story...one that we would expect from the great southern redneck state of Alabama:
Laura Gilbert and a friend went to the Villa off Highway 169 in Opelika, Ala., for a night of celebratory karaoke. It was Gilbert’s first time there. "As soon as we walked in the bar, I felt uncomfortable," she said. "I felt everybody staring at us, but you know, it was her birthday, I didn't want to ruin it for her."

According to Gilbert, when the pair were about to leave, they were confronted by a female patron and a fight broke out. The melee moved outside and grew to about a dozen people, including two men. Gilbert’s friend called 911 and an officer arrived.

"They didn’t take our side of the story," Gilbert said. "They took their side of the story, and then all of a sudden, they come up behind me and tell me to put my hands behind my back, that I’m going to jail."
The local Sheriff says that an investigation of Gilbert's claim is being handled, but Alabama does not have any laws that prevent hate crimes based upon sexual orientation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome - but please, no foul language:

IntenseDebate Comments

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...